Avid mountaineers and adventure seekers take heed! If it’s a challenge that you're looking for, look no further than Mount Trusmadi.
Mount Trusmadi is located about 70 kilometres southeast of Kota Kinabalu City; its forest reserve covers an area of 184,527 hectares bordering four districts - Ranau up north, Tambunan on the west, Keningau down south and Sook in the east.
Standing at 2, 642 meters (8, 668 feet) tall, Mount Trus Madi is the second highest mountain in Sabah and Malaysia after Mount Kinabalu. However, it is said to offer a tougher challenge to its climbers compared to Mount Kinabalu.
There are three trails (Wayaan) that lead to the peak of Mount Trus Madi:
1. Wayaan Kaingaran (Tambunan)
2. Wayaan Mastan (Keningau)
3. Wayaan Mannan (Sinua, Sook)
Mount Trus Madi consists of five different types of vegetations—lowland mixed dipterocarps, hill mixed dipterocarp forest, lower montane forest, upper montane forest, and summit scrub. One interesting thing to spot is the unique pitcher plant, Nepenthes x trusmadiensis—natural hybrid between Nepenthes lowii and Nepenthes macrophylla which is endemic to Mount Trus Madi alone. Having reached the summit of Mount Trus Madi at dawn, weather permitting, you will be enraptured by a breathtaking vista of Mount Kinabalu that lies approximately 40 kilometers north—an absolutely rewarding climb!
All reservations must be referred to the Director of Forestry Department for the approval.
Tambunan town to starting point is about 27km, around 2 hours and 30 minutes drive. (4WD)
From Keningau town to starting point is about 76km, about 3- 4 hours drive. (4WD)
From Keningau town to starting point, 103km drive, about 3 hours drive.
1. Entrance Fee to Forest Reserve : Malaysian : RM5 (adult), RM3 (below 18yo), Non-Malaysian : RM15 (adult), RM7 (below 18yo)
2. Climbing Permit : Malaysian: RM30(adult), RM10(below 18yo), Non-Malaysian: RM80(adult), RM40(below 18yo)
3. Vehicles Permit: RM100 per unit/trip
4. Rest House: RM40 per night
5. Camping Ground: RM5 per person/day (Malaysian), RM10 per person/day (Non-Malaysian)
6. Certificate: RM10 per person/certificate
Climb and Recreational Activities via WAYAAN KAINGARAN – TAMBUNAN
• The District Forest Officer (“DFO”) Tambunan: Mr. Saleh Intang
Pejabat Perhutanan Daerah Tambunan
Peti Surat No 64, 89657, Tambunan
Climb and Recreational Activities via WAYAAN MASTAN & MANNAN – KENINGAU & SOOK
• The District Forest Officer (“DFO”) Keningau: Mr. Azman Said
Pejabat Perhutanan Daerah Keningau
Peti Surat No 88, 89007, Keningau
If you are a registered Tour & Travel Agent based in Sabah & are promoting this destination, let us know by filling up our Directory Form .